I love cheesecake but the problem I have is that I live with two dogs and they don’t eat cheesecake. That leaves just me to keep it from going to waste. Not a good plan. So I decided to try making little cheesecakes from a slightly modified recipe for lemon cheesecake. They actually turned out wonderfully. But the best part is that no cows were harmed and no casein was consumed. I love being vegan.
Based on the vegan lemon cheesecake recipe on the Bakingsheet blog
Vegan Almond Cheesecake
2 – 5 inch diameter ceramic baking dishes
12 vanilla wafers
2 tbl melted Earth Balance
6 oz firm silken tofu
4 oz non-dairy cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbl lemon juice
½ tsp almond extract
1 tbl cornstarch
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Crush vanilla wafers into fine crumbs
3. Mix crumbs and Earth Balance until well blended. Press mixture along the bottom of both baking dishes.
4. In blender mix tofu, cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice and almond extract until smooth.
5. Pour into baking dishes and bake for 30 minutes or until done. The center of the cheesecake should still be soft.
6. While the cheesecake is baking, toast the almonds in a dry pan until lightly browned
7. After removing cheesecake from oven sprinkle almonds on top and let cheesecake cool